Yamaha YTR-8310Z Bobby Shew Trumpet Review
The Yamaha YTR8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet (or the 'Z' as it is known) was born of Yamaha's long and close relationship with the legendary trumpeter Bobby Shew.
Yamaha Bobby Shew Trumpet Features
- Light-weight body design
- Large bell flare and stepped medium to large bore tuning slide produce a big, warm sound with little effort.
- One-pieced, hand-hammered, yellow brass bell and one-piece, drawn, gold brass leadpipe for superior projection and outstanding response.
- Monel pistons resist corrosion and retain smooth action and precise fit.
- Hand-lapped slides and pistons smooth air flow and action improving intonation and response.
Customers give the Bobby Shew a perfect 5.0 (out of 5.0) rating on most major retailer sites.
Yamaha Bobby Shew Trumpet Specifications
- Key: Bb
- Bore: 0.445-inch stepped bore
- Leadpipe: One-piece drawn Gold Brass
- Bell: 5-inch one-piece hammered Yellow Brass
- Valves: Monel Piston
- 1st Valve Slide Adjustment: Thumb Saddle
- 3rd Valve Slide Adjustment: Fixed Ring
- Case: Deluxe Wood Case
- Mouthpiece: Yamaha Bobby Shew Signature
- Finish: Gold Lacquer or Silver-plate
Reviewer's of this trumpet on several major retail sites just love this lightweight trumpet for ease of play and versatility. A few reviewers did note that the case it comes with is small and not the best, but I think that's a pretty minor issue considering the rave reviews the 'Z' gets.
Here's what a few had to say,
Never looked back!"
"I used to play on Bach strad light-weight with a 72 bell for a bigger sound. It was great. But found myself working harder than I needed at the end of a long night. With the 8310Z, since day one, I noticed I didn't have to use a large air stream. With less effort I achieved same results. I have an increased response throughout the entire range on the horn, from my lowest note to my highest. Makes a GREAT, AWESOME, LEAD trumpet."
One of the the perfect trumpets.
"I bought the 8310Z a few years ago in silver plating, and I have loved playing every note on it. It's perfectly balanced with smooth operation. The light weight and the little resistance of the horn make transitioning from a C below the staff to a C above the staff as easy as moving from one note to the next note up. Yamaha hit the nail straight on the head while handcrafting this fine trumpet. I will probably never buy a trumpet again, thanks to this Yamaha Z horn."
So is the Yamaha YTR-8310Z worthy of Bobby Shew's name? I think so and here's why. The unique stepped bore and large bell flare makes for a highly versatile trumpet that is easy to play. These features were key in designing the Bobby Shew trumpet so that students and professionals alike wouldn't have to work so hard and could use one trumpet in just about any venue.
Judging by customer reviews, I'd say Yamaha hit the nail on the head with the Bobby Shew Trumpet.